Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh the frustrations...

Today I skipped a scheduled workout.

Yep, I am still agonizing over missing one workout in.... 4 weeks.  It is probably because I have done every workout I've planned to do in 4 weeks that I am so bummed.  Bummed to break the streak, bummed that I'm feeling so worn down that I felt the need to skip my run this morning.

Truth is, I don't feel like I should be feeling so worn down that I'm skipping workouts.  I don't feel like the volume of my training is high enough that I should be so tired, and I'm concerned about how I'm going to feel in a few months when I get into the heart of my Vineman training.  I know that there will be a certain amount of adjustment that my body will make as I train more.  I’m just concerned.  Combine this with some recent frustration with body image, and I’m having a lot of anxiety about my coming triathlon season.  I’m left wondering what the best plan-of-action in the coming months is, and so far I’ve come up with some ideas.

  • ·        I must start tracking what I’m eating.  I’d love to lose a few pounds, but reality is I have no idea on a day to day basis how much I’m eating, and I think it’s possible I’ve lived in diet mode for so long that I am under-eating sometimes.  This would lead to feeling over-trained any day.
  • ·        I need to take a recovery week soon.  And I need to actually follow through with said recovery week.  Decrease in volume, but not intensity.  And this does not mean increased intensity because I won’t be doing as much… Must exercise self-control.
  • ·        I need to figure out how to sleep better.  I wake up several times a night, and its wearing on me.  Up until 6-8 months ago it was very unusual for me to not sleep through the night, I’m not totally sure what changed, but I need to counteract it.  Any thoughts? Sound machine? White noise?  I don’t really know what the options are, but I need to do some research.
So… Tomorrow is another day.  I’ve actually got 2 workouts planned for tomorrow, swimming in the AM and a trainer ride in the PM.  With some luck my impromptu rest day today and (hopefully) restful sleep tonight and I’ll be ready to get back on it. :)


3 comments:

Bari said...

Sorry you are feeling so rundown. Sometimes our bodies go tell us they need a little break. Hopefully your workouts tomorrow will go well.

Brooke said...

do you get in bed early enough? or maybe too early due to your morning workouts?

Ashley said...

Brooke, I'm not getting to bed quite as early as I used to. I just have too much to do, but I try to be in bed no later than 10 every night since I am up so early.