Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sending Mixed Signals...

So I just read an op-ed by Jillian Michaels here.  I originally wanted to write a long response that included how ridiculous I felt it was for her to write a post that, while I agree with her points, she also is equally responsible and participates in a culture that says one thing and then does another.

I don't really care if she is required by some line in her contract to allow her name to be used on a diet/supplement product, or if she actually was a part of developing this.  Either way, in my mind, she gave up much of her credibility the moment she signed the dotted line and began to participate in the supplement business.  If by chance you don't know, supplements are one of the most deregulated industries in the country.  There is no responsibility of the producer to back up claims they write on their box, nor are they even required to provide a full list of ingredients in their products (they can use the phrase "Proprietary  Blend" to prevent full disclosure).  It is my opinion and belief that the supplement business preys on the frustration and lack of clear information most people encounter when starting, trying to maintain, changing, revamping, or maximizing lifestyle choices they might make in weight-loss, weight maintenance, sport performance or simply everyday well-being.

Don't get me wrong, I know how easy it is to be sucked into the claims of supplements.  As a high schooler I tried dexatrim because I wanted soooo badly to lose weight.  I wanted to look like the popular girls, or the skinny girls, or (for goodness sakes) just look good in shorts.  What happened?? My friends asked me why I was being a psycho.  Seriously.  I was a raving lunatic on that stuff and didn't lose a single pound.  Insult to injury.  Blah.

What did I learn?  What have I learned over and over and over since?

Whether you are trying to lose weight, maintain your weight, improve your sport performance you've got to keep 3 things in mind... (and I don't think these are in any particular order)

  1. Patience - You've got to give yourself time to learn how to do something differently.  Whether its eating, running faster, walking further, lifting more, cooking, grocery shopping, or whatever else you want/need to work on, you've got to put your patience hat on with yourself.  Be nice to yourself... if you are having a good day, congratulate yourself, if you are having a bad day, make one single good choice and move on.  And be patience with others in you life.  They are changing with you.
  2. Its hard work - Its gonna take some blood, sweat, and tears to make a meaningful change.. But you get so much out of blood, sweat, and tears that in the end it is worth it.  You are worth it.  I am worth it.  Maybe there are days that you wish it would all just happen with the wave of a wand, but imagine the lessons you would miss if that happened?
  3. Enjoy the ride - Recently I've been hurting on the run.  Its had made running hard and tiring and I was just pushing through, FORCING my body to get in the few miles that I could muster.  I didn't enjoy them, in fact I had gotten to the point that I dreaded going out for a run, dreaded doing the sport that I have done to one extent or another (with love I might add) for more than 10 years.  I WAS NOT enjoying myself.  Then I ran with my friend Beki.  I went out with the intention of enjoying the miles, enjoying the company, and not worrying about my pace, or how far we went.  And a funny thing happened, I enjoyed myself.  I didn't hurt.  I loved the run, the weather was good, it even rained on us the last couple miles (I love running in the rain), and when we finished I had a smile on my face.  My run reminded me of an important detail of any journey.  You have to enjoy it.  
So I guess those are my lessons learned, and any less than putting the time in, the work, and having a little patience has caused me to have more frustrating and waste more energy on the wrong things.

Hope my ramblings make some sense.  :)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

i'm definitely impatient. i've been on this "new" plan for 4 weeks and am already annoyed i'm not seeing results

Kirsten said...

Your ending point? Is what I learned myself at Nike last fall. Why the heck am I spending all this time doing something I supposedly love if I'm making myself miserable? And at that point I decided I could push myself but not to the point where I was miserable. I needed to enjoy the miles or I was wasting my time.