Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sometimes it takes a picture.. Thankful Thursday

I was looking through my email for a picture for Christie O's Motivation Jar and came across this picture:
Which I would like to compare to this recently taken picture:
At SF Zoo, the cutie is Troy's niece. :) 

Or maybe this picture...?
Troy and I post-Vineman
Am I the only one seeing the difference? 

Its not just about the weight difference (which I see in the pictures) its about the real smiles in the last 2 pictures that I'm faking in the first.  The first picture was taken in sometime in late 2006, I was in the midst of my deepest depression I've ever experienced, just had been put on meds to help pull me out of the deep dark hole I was in, and my life was in upheaval.  I wasn't sad/depressed because I had put on weight, I had put on weight because I was sad/depressed.  Because I couldn't bring myself to care about what I put in my body or if and when I moved my body.  

Exercise has been a blessing in my life, especially in the past (nearly) 5 years.  I've been off the depression meds with the help of counseling and.... being healthy and kind to my body.  When I'm sad, I go for a walk, or a run (or bike or swim or whatever), anything to keep me from laying in bed making me even more sad.  I mostly fuel my body with healthy foods, because I noticed it makes a difference in my emotions.  When I eat like crap, I feel like crap, both emotionally and physically.  

And those around me have been so supportive of my crazy healthy eating and exercise habits.  Friends, family, boyfriend, his family... the list could go on.

So for this Thankful Thursday (my first) I'm thankful for those of you who keep the smile on my face real and not faked.  Because real happiness does come from within, but is so much easier when you have the support of those closest to you.  :)  

2 comments:

Bari said...

Very beautiful reason to be thankful.

Brooke said...

you are beautiful! especially that smile. :) i'm thankful to have such a great friend like you in my life!!