Thursday, September 8, 2011

Here we go again...

I'm on the weight loss bandwagon, again (kinda).

I struggle with this because the truth is, I want to lose weight not for vanity reasons like I have in the past, but to be a better triathlete.

That's the honest truth.

No really.

Ok, so maybe a little bit for vanity reasons, but for the most part, I'm pretty happy with how I'm looking these days.

But when I read that you can speed up something like 6 sec per pound lost per mile on a run... Ummm, yeah, sign me up.  If I lost the 6 lbs I'd *like* to lose, I'd roughly be 36 secs faster per mile just because of the weight I lost.  That's over 6 minutes off my half-marathon time. 6 MINUTES

But the reality of losing weight, cutting calories, counting calories (which I nearly refuse to do!).... I just don't know that I have it in me.  And then my dear friend April reminded me that there is a possibility that I could eat too few calories for all the workouts I'm doing, which is the LAST thing I want to do (over-training is ugly, and I don't want to go back there).

So I really don't know.

I'm started a weight lifting routine.  I've got 6 weeks mapped out for me by a trainer I paid for years ago and then never really used.  Its not what one would call "triathlon" or "running" specific, but I figure with my lack of weight training anything would be helpful at this point.

So for now I'm trying to be mindful of what I eat.  More whole foods, less processed stuff.  I indulge from time to time... and I don't think at this point I'm ready or willing to give that up.

But all in all, I'm pretty on the fence about this whole weight-loss thing.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

*whispers* i've gone back to tracking. its (mostly) quick, (relatively) painless. and it works.

Bari said...

I may have to get on that same bandwagon.

Ashley said...

I've given it some thought, not to really diet, but more to see how my macro nutrients break down, as I fear I might be eating too little or too much of something. *sigh* but I am so so uninterested.