Thursday, July 26, 2012

Best Laid Plans



My original intent was to get back from vacation and seriously clean up my food choices.  For vanity and for athletic performance I’d like to lose a few (ok, 10) pounds and it seems like now is the best time to do it.  I’ve getting ready to gear back up for an Olympic distance triathlon at the end of September and then my first marathon at the end of October. 

My plan was to go “whole foods” for 6-8 weeks initially.  Fruits, vegetables, good fats, legumes, whole grains, and some lean meats.  No pastas or breads, nothing from a box. 

And then we got back from vacation.  And I’m still eating junk. 

Then my friend Karena found Amanda over at Run to the Finish who is hosting a Clean Eating August Challenge.  Perfect timing and group support?!  Doesn’t get better!


But here’s the thing.  I’m still me.

I still have to check my attitude related to food.

It is not unfair that I can’t eat whatever and however much I want.  Eating whatever you want, whenever you want, as much as you want is not a right.  It’s not even something I should want.  I *know* food is fuel.  If I fuel with crappy food, I feel crappy.  When I fuel with good food, I feel good. 

But the office has a dispenser full of skittles, donuts every Friday, and a coke machine down the hall.   I share a home with someone who could really care less if what I make is healthy or nutritious, only that it’s tasty.  And always involves meat, it’s not a meal without meat.

So I struggle and I get frustrated.  And getting frustrated only makes it worse. 

Really I’m sounding more dramatic than it is.  I want it to be easy and I’m whining that it isn’t. 
   


So I'm going to start making better, smarter, healthier choices.  I know I can do it, its a matter of just not giving in to every want or desire at any given moment.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.  :)

3 comments:

Brooke said...

love that quote!! you're a braver woman than me for joining the challenge, but we already knew that one ;)

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

I'm apprehensively excited about the challenge, LOL!

Maria (maslife) said...

I can relate. I have a tortured relationship with food. But, eating "whole foods" is a great strategy, and sticking with your good eating plan about 90% of the time will get the job done.

Good luck with the challenge!